Albert George Market

VRA Core

Title

Albert George Market

Date

1851 1900

Description

Built in 1894, the Albert George Market is the most prominent landmark of Falmouth’s Water Square. The clock tower façade enlists architectural details from the prevailing Georgian tradition well over a half century after that style had fallen out of favor. Conversely, the cast iron sheds to the rear emulate the vast sheds behind contemporary English train stations, technologically modern and sublime. Since open arcades could be configured in many different variations, depending upon the vendors’ requirements for space, they were a popular option for large, fluid spaces like markets. In this way the building connected with both the future—modernism and technology—and the Georgian past, the period of Falmouth’s economic zenith.

Location

Water Square and Market Street District

Identifier

B040-S005

Usage

Citation

“Albert George Market,” The Falmouth Project, accessed November 18, 2017, http://falmouth.lib.virginia.edu/items/show/1133.