St. Peter’s Anglican Church

VRA Core

Title

St. Peter’s Anglican Church

Date

1751 1800

Description

The construction of St. Peter’s Anglican Church in 1796 represented English religion, custom, and governance on the northern coast of Jamaica. Situated on land donated by Edward Barrett and John Tharpe, two of Falmouth’s most elite citizens, the Anglican church was the religious center for the town’s white elite. The attached churchyard is a veritable who’s who of early nineteenth-century Falmouth. The church tower is still fitted out with its original clockworks and On the interior, the church retains many of its early fittings, including an early pulpit, font, and chancel as well as the original box pews.

Location

Duke Street Corridor

Identifier

B056-S001

Usage

Citation

“St. Peter’s Anglican Church,” The Falmouth Project, accessed November 17, 2017, http://falmouth.lib.virginia.edu/items/show/1363.