This site was first developed in 1803 to serve as Fort Balcarres, defending the mouth of the harbor. The site was dominated by the long stone barracks that today serves as one of the two main buildings for the school. The fort was moved to this location from its original position in the center of town—where the Courthouse now stands—because of the fear of fire resulting from the regular discharge of artillery. In 1902, the town’s various denominational schools were amalgamated and the Government school repurposed Fort Balcarres as its campus. In the 1960s, the school expanded with the construction of the substantial Modernist wing; one of the few examples of concrete Modernism in town. The school has occupied this site for more than a century.
Rodney Street District
“Fort Balcarres,” The Falmouth Project, accessed July 19, 2018, http://falmouth.lib.virginia.edu/items/show/867.